The Rose Historic Chapel formerly St Mary’s Convent Chapel is the sole survivor of a group of heritage buildings in Christchurch that once comprised the St Mary’s Convent complex for the Sisters of Mercy in North Colombo Street.
While the convent buildings were sadly demolished in 1994, the chapel was purchased by the Christchurch City Council in order to ensure its retention. Together with the Rose Historic Chapel Trust and Friends of the Chapel, the Council has undertaken conservation and restoration of this building for its new use as a community facility catering specifically for intimate weddings, meetings, seminars and concerts.
Built in 1910, the chapel is a small, symmetrical early English Gothic-styled building constructed in Hoon Hay and Oamaru stone. The builders have clearly articulated the internal functions of the chapel - that is the entrance porch, choir loft, nave and sanctuary - by using different roof levels and a geometric tracery window and rose wheel window at the east and west ends respectively. The chapel's new name was derived from the prominent west end rose wheel.